It’s no secret many teachers dig into their pockets to pay for classroom supplies each year.
Target has a new way to help educators stretch those dollars.
In a Target.com blog post, the retailer wrote: “Pssst… teachers. New this year, we’re making life a little easier for you, too, with a special 15 percent discount.”
This is the first time Target says it’s offering the discount on “select classroom supplies, from pens, pencils, crayons and markers to classroom storage and organization and tissues, hand sanitizer and more.”
Teachers can cash in Sunday through July 21 when shopping in-store and online. All the details and the coupon code will be posted at Target.com/teacherprep Sunday, the blog post said.
“As many teachers begin to think about the upcoming school year, the Teacher Prep Event helps them get the classroom supplies they need at a greater value,” said Mark Tritton, Target’s executive vice president and chief merchandising officer in a statement. “It’s a way for Target to acknowledge the role they play in going the extra mile for their students.”
In a National Center of Education Statistics study released in May, 94 percent of teachers reported spending their own money on supplies.
The average amount teachers said they spent without reimbursement was $479, far more than the federal $250 tax deduction available to teachers.
About 44 percent said they spent $250 or less, while 36 percent spent from $251 to $500, the survey showed.
Target’s teacher discount
Target officials provided the following about the special 15 percent discount:
- All teachers nationwide are eligible for the discount, including preschool teachers, homeschool teachers and college professors.
- Target is partnering with SheerID, a nationally-recognized eligibility verification services company focusing on military personnel, college students and teachers, to verify eligibility.
- Items eligible for the discount include:
- Select classroom supplies: Pens, pencils, crayons, notebooks, folders, binders, arts and crafts items like markers, colored pencils, scissors, glue and classroom storage and organization.
- Essentials: Disinfecting wipes, facial tissue, hand sanitizer and food storage bags.
- The discount excludes trial and travel-size items and Bullseye’s Playground. For more information about eligible items, visit Target.com/teacherprep.
More: What’s the scoop? See the deals Sunday for National Ice Cream Day
More: Build-a-Bear chaos: How to get your $15 voucher after the failed Pay Your Age event
More: Students aren’t the only ones crushed by school debt
Kelly Tyko is a consumer columnist and retail reporter for Treasure Coast Newspapers and TCPalm.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK. Follow her on Twitter @KellyTyko and email her at email@example.com.